Friday, September 14, 2012

and then..................

Ok, how do I start this.......hmmmmm oh heck here it goes..........

The decision to have a hysterectomy isn't one of what flavor of ice cream would be best! It took us many heart felt prayers and pondering and searching and talking to get to the conclusion that I needed one. Sooooo I called my Dr. and set up the appointment. Oh I was as nervous as a chicken about to get it's head chopped off!!! July 16th was the day that the man child and I went into that office to have a chat with the mostest amazing Dr alive! (no, serious he is!!) Well, that was a Monday and he said I could have it on Wednesday if I wanted it but we needed to figure life stuff out and holy potatoes just breath for a sec! 
So we chatted with the lovely nurse (for the privacy of others I will call her Birtha!) So this Birtha nurse lady friend pulled up the Dr.s surgery chart and we figured the best day for us was dun dun dunnnnnn August 1 2012 Oh for the love of grasshoppers that was only 2 1/2 weeks away!!! We had a lot of planning to do and maybe a few angry old ladies to tell that I couldn't do their hair for a few weeks (death rays were shot at me at on earth could I possibly leave their hair unattended!) ;) I so love all............well almost lovely clients...............(OH, I LOVE YOU! NO, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT YOU!?!?) Back to the story...Got all that we could situated and had a few fun get together with friends (you all know who you are and I lovest yer guts!) and family dinners and before we knew it the day had arrived!

Oh for those of you who don't know about the waiting and waiting and WAITING you have to do for the hospital to call you to tell you all the info and time to be there, well it's HORRENDOUS!!

August 1st at 9:00 or 30............hahahaha I can't remember what time I went in!!! hehehehe I'm still laughing about that!!! Ok so I head on in to the "old" hospital and get all gown, beautiful blue hair cap thingy on, lovely blue fuzzy socks with rubber grips on the top or bottom (you don't have to check to make sure it's on right!) and sit                              and sit                                       and sit                                     and sit.......................................................they put in my IV and had to take the last pregnancy test I'll ever have to take and let me tell ya the hospital rapes ya on that charge!!! Anyhooo I wasn't preggers DUHHHHhh (could have told them that one!) and oh oh oh I need to say that Dixie Regional Medical Center has thee bestest nurses ever! I have NEVER had a bad experience with any of them (I have had many, many, buttloads of encounters!!) After a long wait to get on up to the pre operating room where the Dr, "sleepy Dr" and O.R. nurse comes to chat with ya. I finally get my driver to come get me and we head on up there and I have to tell ya that my bed wheels were a bit off and he (the nurse man) kept bumping into the doors and was an awesome ride!! :) this pre o.r. room is cold and lonely (the man child was with me) and we waited some more............let me say that if you leave the man unattended and the wife hooked up and unable to restrain him, he likes to get into things like he is a 2 year old (I flippin' love that man!!) I had to yell through gritted teeth for him to behave!!!!!! Don't worry he was good but only cuz he was nervous about this surgery and he was having second thoughts cuz heck he hasn't had that joy of experiencing watching your wife's belly getting bigger, feeling that first kick, looking for the gender of your baby, the joy of telling all you come in contact with that you're having a boy or a girl, the food cravings, the puking, mood swings, Dr appointments that aren't to deal with surgery, the false labor, the real labor, the water breaking and you thinking you just peed, the delivery of that most precious beautiful spirit fresh from Heaven, the cry of your new born baby, the tears of pure joy for the love that you and your spouse have shared from bringing that miracle into your family, and I was fighting a battle in my head because I felt like it was all my fault for not being able to give him all of that!! I had and was the strong one and told him over and over again that it would all be okay!(breath) Dr. Rogers came in and talked to us and reassured us that all was fine and my quality of life would be so much better. Then the "sleepy" Dr came in and started talking to us and explaining things. He got ready to push me into the o.r. and I kissed that man child of mine and told him not to worry and I loved him and I'd see him soon! As I was being wheeled down the hall I asked if the "sleepy" Dr put something in my IV and he said YEP and I felt like I was on a fluffy cloud (I love it!!) and I said "Oh, I can feel it now!" (the man child said later that that kinda broke his heart hearing that cuz he knew I was gone) ((I can't imagine how nerve racking it must feel to send your loved one off to surgery and have to wait in the waiting room! :( )) I get into the O.R. and there are nurses and they are talking to me but I'm so loopy that all I remember was scooting onto the operating table and they put on the oxygen and said breath and I was OUT!!!

Waking up in excruciating pain and moaning and trying to not puke is not my idea of waking up!! I was in the recovery room for the max time, which is 1 1/2 hours, and the nurse finally after many, many, many shots of morphine, she said she couldn't give me any more med's cuz she had given me the maximum and I was still in A LOT of pain and she was sorry. :(  They took me up to my room, cuz lucky me I got to stay in there over night, I met my nurses that would take care of me but I didn't care cuz I was so pukey feeling and my head was so foggy and still in horrible pain..........pain like I've never felt..........but those lovely nurses gave me shots of percocet and morphine and I still...................felt like puking and had major pain and couldn't eat anything and the nurses wanted me to go WALKING!?!? and I finally came to my senses and put one and one together (not 2 and 2!) figured out that duhhhh percocet doesn't do ANYTHING for me and if they could ask my Dr to switch it to loratab I would be better...............well after that was said and done, I got my little blue pills and sure enough the pain was bearable and I got up and walked the halls and was able to eat some crackers and (nope not sleep) rest!! All night long you have the nurse coming in to check you and I wasn't mad or anything but I wake up at a drop of a feather (serious!!!) 
Next day or should I say the butt crack of dawn, I was sitting trying to do (hahaha not do) anything to pass the time I was watching tv cuz at least the Olympics were on :) and I got more blood draws and oh glorious day they finally took out the pee bag and I could be a big girl now and go potty in the toilet!!! ;)  Now when my Dr came in to check on me, I begged him to let me go home and he said he would see if I would eat and walk more and could control my pain with just pills and no shots of morphine...mission accepted!!! I ate a bit and walked the halls without flashing anyone, I hope, and started taking loratab and motrin and I got to go home by 4ish that afternoon!!!! angels were singing!!! I said goodbye to all the amazing nurses and as I was being wheeled out I said to the nurse that I must be a wimp cuz I was going home the latest of all the other hysterectomy patients and she said heck no cuz all the other ones had the less invasive kinds and with mine being the cut yer gut wide open kind they usually keep those in for 2 nights so I was good!! 

Fast forward (sorry it's a long one!) it's been 6 weeks of recovery and I have to say that we have seen and felt the Lords helping hands by many angels here on Earth! We had meals from friends and family and prayers were answered in many private ways (too special to share) and the support of an incredible man that chose to be my eternal companion almost 6 years ago and the love and concern from an amazing daughter who is still as sweet as she was at birth! I have grown to be more patient and loving and appreciative of ALL that I have....... I still feel a bit sad that I will never be able to share that experience with my best friend of having biological children.......BUT we wouldn't change a thing!!!!

 Now starts the next chapter of our lives together and journey to our happily ever after!!!

1 comment:

  1. Missy, I sat here laughing and bawling as I read this. My heart hurts for what you had to go through, but I can see your fun personality shining through your words. I sure love you, sis! You are a wonderful example to me. I have always looked up to you!